Thursday, June 7, 2012

Session #1



Session 1 of the Dairy Leaders Program XI was a great experience which helped to broaden my horizons. From day one upon meeting other classmates in the program I realized I was in for a great experience. Dr. Koenig gave the first presentation and was helpful in breaking the ice for our new class and also there to talk to our class about leadership. This was a great way to start the program as Dr. Koenig was a great inspirational speaker who left us feeling positive with what lies ahead of us. I think everyone walked away from his presentation with something new that they can use in their everyday lives. His presentation not only addressed the qualities that we already posses as leaders but also the areas of leadership that each of us could individually improve on.
 For myself this presentation was very beneficial mainly because I am new to managing employees which requires a large amount of leadership. The following day was the focus of the session which was media training. Although this was the most stressful and exhausting part of the session, I left with a new understanding of how to take on reporters and also new techniques on how to promote the dairy industry. Coming out of this session I am much more informed and feel that I would have a better approach at an interview if the situation was to ever arise.
After a morning filled with training we finally had a practice run with a live interview and reporter. This was difficult for myself as I found it hard to answer questions in the right manner while under the pressure of a live interview. The last day of the session Dino Giacomazzi gave a presentation on social networking. This presentation was all about educating consumers about what we do as dairy farmers by means of social media. Dino promotes the dairy industry via Facebook, Twitter and by blogging. Dino explained that consumers and the American public have a misunderstanding about our industry and it is solely up to our generation to try and link the gap between farmers and consumers.  Overall I had a great experience and walked away from this session with knowledge and skills that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment